Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can occur during the late luteal phase. It is commonly recommended to lower salt intake and to avoid alcohol during this time.
Low levels of progestogens allopregnanolone, pregnenolone, pregnanolone and 5α-dihydroprogesterone are associated with negative mood during the late luteal phase. Pregnenolone is the precursor to progesterone, which suggests that not enough progestogens were being converted for hormonal balance. Progestogens allopregnanolone and 5α-dihydroprogesterone are neurosteroids formed by 5α-reductase from other progestogens that help the brain cope with stress during the luteal phase. Alcohol may cause problems, because it decreases allopregnanolone levels during this time.
My hypothesis is that premenstrual syndrome is associated with the monthly disintegration of the corpus luteum during the second week of luteal phase. The corpus luteum produces the majority of progestogens in the human body, and lack of certain progesterones are associated with negative symptoms. It is during the second week of luteal phase, when progesterone levels drop due to an absence of the corpus luteum, and this perhaps help create hormone imbalances that are not fully understood.
Lowering salt intake is commonly recommended to reduce PMS bloating. Many symptoms can be attributed to high levels of the mineralocorticoid alderosterone, which is a breakdown product of progestogens formed by the adrenal gland. Alderosterone influences the body to retain liquids and sodium, but it also causes loss of potassium. High amounts of potassium salt were also surprisingly associated with PMS symptoms. These imbalances may be responsible for bodily swelling as well.
This is an excerpt. Read breast-endocrinology.pdf or super-bazongas.pdf for more.
- EurekAlert: Women's Iron Intake May Help to Protect Against PMS. University of Massachusettes. 2013. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-02/uoma-wii022013.php.
- Rosenfeld R, Livne D, Nevo O, Dayan L, Milloul V, Lavi S, Jacob G. Hormonal and volume dysregulation with premenstrual syndrome. Hypertension. 2008; 51(4). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18259015.
- Nyberg, S, Andersson A, Zingmark E, Wahlstrom G, Backstrom T, Sundstrom-Poromaa I. The effect of low dose of alcohol on allopregnanolone serum concentrations across the menstrual cycle in women with severe premenstrual syndrome and controls. Psychoneuroendocrinology. October 2005; 30(9). http://www.psyneuen-journal.com/article/S0306-4530(05)00117-4/fulltext.
- Wang M, Seippel L, Purdy RH, Backstrom T. Relationship between symptom severity and steroid variation in women with premenstrual syndrome: study on serum pregnenolone, pregnenolone sulfate, 5-alpha-pregnane-3,20-dione and 3 alpha-hydroxy-5 alpha-pregnan-20-one. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. Mar 1996; 81(3). . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772579.
- Melcangi RC, Panzica GC. Allopregnanolone: state of the art. Prog Neurobiol. Feb 2014; 113. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24121112.
- Sripada RK, Marx CE, King, AP, Rampton IC, Ho SS, Liberon I. Allopregnanolone Elevations Following Pregnenolone Administration Are Associated with Enhanced Activation of Emotion Regulation Neurocircuits. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Jun; 73(11). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23348009.
- Hellgren C, Akerud H, Skalkidou A, Backstrom T, Sundstrom-Poromaa I. Low serum allopregnanolone is associated with symptoms of depression in late pregnancy. Neuropsychobiology. 2014; 69. http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/358838.
- Rey M, Coirini H. Synthetic neurosteroids on brain protection. Neural Regen Res. Jan 2015; 10(1). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4357103/.
- Aldosterone. Encyclopædia Britannica. 2012. .
- Premenstrual Syndrome. Encyclopædia Britannica. 2012. .
- Premenstrual Syndrome. ADAM Encyclopedia. July 2015. .
- Super Bazongas. https://breast.is/ebook/super-bazongas.pdf.