This is about milkthistle including its hormonal properties and potential use for breast enhancement. Milk thistle has a folklore history of being used as a lactogogue.
The genus of Silybum is known as milkthistle. The species Silybum marianum goes by blessed milkthistle.
Milkthistle belongs to the Asteraceae or Aster family.
There are many herbs named thistle in various genus within the Aster family. Bull thistle (Cirsium arvenase), musk thistle (Carduus nutans), scotch thistle (Onopordum acanthium), distaff thistles (Carthamus) are a few. Dandelion (Teraxacum), sunflower (Helianthus) and chamomile (Chamomilla) are also within the Aster family.
Constituents of interest
Silybum contains silitidil and silybins.
Blessed milkthistle (Silybum marianum) increases prolactin. Silybins antagonize prolactin response. Silybins modulate ERα and ERβ likely in different ways.
Silybum for breast enhancement
Silybum can partially but not fully replace hops. Milkthistle should be avoided during proliferative phase.
Herb timing and combinations' success for breast enhancement relies on menstrual phases.
Descriptions of results from combination herb use, potentially Silybum or herbs with similar properties, can be seen in the program blogs of: anon03, anon04, anon05, Canadian Belle and hirsutism.
Other thistles within the Aster family are used for similar purposes. Their active constituents vary, and their effects may also vary.
Be sure you properly identify the species of thistles as edible. Many species of thistles are thorny. Also, be aware that Silybum and possibly other thistles typically grows near poisonous plants.
If you have hirsutism, PCOS, hot-flashes, other signs of hormone imbalances, see estrogen-imbalance and treating hirsutism program before trying herbs. See precautions for more details of care to be taken with herb use. Proper nutrition is a consideration for health. Also, check for the latest blog updates about herb and hormone safety.
Herb concentrates can be tens of times more potent by weight than herbs in solid form. This can easily lead to hormone imbalances. For this reason, concentrate extracts are not recommended for extended or excessive internal use, especially during fertility years. Concentrates shouldn't be used to overcome plateaus. Another issue with herbal extracts, is that they may not have the full range of properties of the herb. Essential oils are not recommended for breast enhancement. If opting to use herb extracts, use no more than 1 drop at a time diluted in a food-grade carrier oil (like unrefined olive oil), or water.
Pictures of breast enhancement can be seen at the past program blogs of Bubblemelon and anon02.
breast-endocrinology.pdf describes the science of breast development and endocrinology. It also describes symptoms related to hormone imbalances. Biology and hormone imbalances are excerpts from this ebook. breast-endocrinology.pdf uses a Creative Commons (CC BY-ND 4.0) license.
super-bazongas.pdf is the 2nd volume that is a breast enhancement guide. It continues with a theory of herb use for breast development, and the application for herb use. This volume is free for personal and fair use.
For resources on hips and butt enhancement, see: /appendix/hips-butt-enhancement and /appendix/kettlebell.
Breast enhancement; health blog
Blog updates: breast topics and health related content.
- Effect of Silitidil, a standardized extract of milk thistle, on the serum prolactin levels in female rats.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25230499.
- Silymarin BIO-C, an extract from Silybum marianum fruits, induces hyperprolactinemia in intact female rats.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19303749.
- New therapeutic potentials of milk thistle (Silybum marianum).. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24555302.
- Anticancer potential of silymarin: from bench to bed side.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17201169.
- ERα down-regulation plays a key role in silibinin-induced autophagy and apoptosis in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26117209.
- Effect of Silibinin on Maspin and ERα Gene Expression in MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cell Line. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5831069/.
- The Natural Agonist of Estrogen Receptor β Silibinin Plays an Immunosuppressive Role Representing a Potential Therapeutic Tool in Rheumatoid Arthritis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107853/.
- ERα down-regulation plays a key role in silibinin-induced autophagy and apoptosis in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1347861315000894#%FE%FF%00b%00i%00b%002%007.
Etymology & Definitions:
- USDA Plant classification: Silybum marianum. https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=SIMA3.
- USDA Plant classification: Silybum. https://plants.usda.gov/java/ClassificationServlet?source=display&classid=SILYB.
- The Plant List: Silybum. http://www.theplantlist.org/1.1/browse/A/Compositae/Silybum/.
- NIH: Milk thistle. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/milkthistle/ataglance.htm.
- Milk Thistle and Poison Hemlock: The Prickly and the Poisonous. https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Milk-Thistle-and--Poison-Hemlock.